Wednesday, September 16, 2009

preschool and potty training

Grandma and Grandpa Boren visited last week for a couple days. Nathan got to spend a day with Grandpa, Daddy, and Uncle Stephen, building the set for Aunt Mel's upcoming play, "A Midsummer Night's Dream," at Lehi Jr. High. Grandpa also brought his chainsaw and cut down the diseased tree next to our garage. We loved having Grandma and Grandpa visit, and were sad that we couldn't find an excuse to get them to stay longer! That's how it is when you have to share your wonderful in-laws with 6 other siblings.

Nathan started preschool this week. He is teary-eyed and dramatic when I drop him off, as if we're saying goodbye forever. "Goodbye Mom"...chin quivers..."I love you"...sniffle..."Good bye"...waves as he slowly backs away..."Goodbyyyeee." It could break a person's heart, but he comes running with a big smile on his face when I pick him up. He insists that he doesn't like preschool at all, but I think it's just because he's worried that he's missing all the "fun" with me and the other kids while he's gone.

Clara has been resistant to potty-training for the past several months, but suddenly this week, she has decided that she wants to be done with diapers. She's been practically accident-free for several days now. Hooray!!! David and I have had almost nothing to do with it. She has potty-trained herself. (And for those of you who know Clara, you understand why it wouldn't work any other way!)

Swimming at Aunt Mel's pool

Set-building at Aunt Mel's school

Christian smiles for the camera

Timber!!

5 comments:

Jeanne and Nelson said...

Wow, big week, that is no surprise about Clara. I am up to my eyeballs in plums and apples, wish you were here.

Jessica said...

I my GOODNESS! I am SO, SO, SO, SO, SOOOOO excited to hear about Clara's potty success and that you found a preschool for Nathan - both BIG blessings! Congrats!

marian said...

Wow! Big doings at the Boren's house! Kisses for Clara for using the potty, big girl and hopefully nice for you. Christian is VERY handsome.

Jacky said...

I'm still waiting for Madeline's potty breakthrough. There's no way for us to make her do it - I wish she would decide to be done with diapers too!

I'm glad Nathan is enjoying school. Claire just started preschool too and loves it. It really makes you feel like they're growing up, doesn't it?

J and A said...

So fun to see your beautiful growing family. Potty news is great news! We have a little guy we try to get excited about it and are waiting for him to make up his mind too. The other day his grandma asked him if he wanted to have a race with his baby brother to see who can make progress first: him use the potty or the baby walk? Our 3 year old quickly replied, "He will walk first". Little rascal. :)