This morning, Clara locked herself and Christian in my room. For some reason she couldn't get the door unlocked. Somewhere in this world is the key that will unlock it, but that is for the previous owner to know and me to never find out. While she cried and rattled the doorknob, Nathan and I sat on the other side of the door and tried to explain (in 3-year-old terms) how to unlock it. After several minutes and no success picking it with a paper clip, Nathan collected every key in the house and I started trying them in keyhole. After that failed, Nathan (who was nearly late for school) wanted to bring up a saw from the garage and cut a hole in the door. With that as motivation, I was finally able to explain the unlocking procedure to Clara in a way she could understand, and she freed herself from captivity.
As we drove home from Nathan's school, I reflected on the locked door incident. I realized that we are all like the child who has locked herself in a room, and the Lord is the loving parent who wants us to come back to Him. He knows how to unlock the door, but each of us has to unlock it for ourselves. He waits on the other side and instructs us on how to remove the barrier that separates us from Him. It is up to us to take His advice. What things in my life are obstructing my relationship with the Lord? What is He trying to tell me? How can I be better at following His directions?
Here are some other things we've been up to...
Christian has started walking, and is learning more words. He likes play peek-a-boo and wrap himself up in blankets.
One night when we went to check on the kids, we found both of their beds empty. Then we heard snoring coming from the closet.
 |
| We've been preparing a plot for our garden and researching fruit trees. Can anyone recommend good varieties of peach trees, plum trees, or apple trees? I'm looking for a really good pie apple. (tart, sweet, and doesn't turn to mush in the oven.) |
2 comments:
Very good parallel. I'm glad your door was spared from Nathan's saw (heehee). I love the pictures!
Ok, so the other day Sweet Baby James managed to lock himself in our room. Our house is a million years old, with old key locks and we doubted that we'd be able to get him out short of sawing the door off, or calling a locksmith. Anyway, this popped into my head. I just asked him to turn the knob, and he did! Joseph did manage to find the keys (buried deep in a drawer), but man, for a few mins this was not funny at all!
Post a Comment