Thursday, August 22, 2013

Has it been 10 years already?

 
 

We recently celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary. 
If you have a few minutes, feel free to scroll down through some highlights and defining moments of the past decade.
 

2003

 We met on January 11, 2003, on a blind date arranged by our roommates. 
By the end of our 2nd date, I knew I was going to marry him. 
(He didn’t know it quite so soon!) 

 A few weeks later, David left for China, where he did his student teaching. 


We emailed every day for 3 months.

He returned in May...

...And we were married in August.

We hardly knew each other, but David had the character traits I was looking for,
and I guess David saw potential in me. 


 The following week, David graduated with his bachelor's degree
and started his new job as a 3rd grade teacher. 
I began my senior year of college and taught piano lessons.


Here's our little basement apartment.
We lived happily there with two scary old furnaces
and an assortment of spiders.

2004

I performed my senior piano recital in March and graduated in April.
We discovered we were expecting our first child!
David began graduate school in BYU's Education Leadership program.
He continued to teach elementary school as well.
 
 
Nathan joined us nearly a month early.
David was up to his eyeballs in graduate classes and elementary school.  I helped correct 3rd grade papers and edit his grad school papers during midnight feedings.
We were so tired we couldn't see straight.
 
We moved to student housing. 
It was a great place, except that the contents of our neighbors' garbage disposal
would come up our drain. 
 
 
2005
 
 
This baby backpack has been one of the greatest purchases we ever made! 
Our family has enjoyed many hikes together.
 
Nathan was one year old and into everything! 
Seriously, he broke more things in his first 3 years than all of our other kids combined.
David continued to work on his master's and teach 3rd grade.
 
 
2006

This year, David finished his master's degree, started a PhD,
and changed elementary schools.
We bought our first house...

...and Clara was born.


2007

As cute as a button!

What have we gotten ourselves into?!!
 
 
2008

This picture makes me tired.
We were at my cousin's wedding reception, after a long day of festivities. 
Someone wanted a picture of our lovely family - perhaps for evidence.
I was done.  Clara was DONE.
Nathan was off the deep end.  (He had just pulled the fire alarm.)
Don't be fooled by David's perma-smile.  He was done too.

Our homemade waterslide!

 No matter how busy David was with work and grad school,
he always made time for family.
 

2009

Nathan and Clara went through some difficult years.  I often felt discouraged. 
This picture gave me hope for the future.


David spent 3 weeks in Uganda, doing research for his dissertation.
It was a life-changing experience.
 
 Never fear: Christian is here!
He has been a calming influence in our family.
 
 This picture always makes me smile.
 
Five of us now.
 
 
2010
This was a defining year for us. 
Lots of struggle, growth, and change.
 
In the midst of selling our house,
we discovered why we had been so tired and sick lately:
Carbon monoxide poisoning.
We got to buy a new furnace before moving.  We were so grateful everyone was okay.

Some much-needed rest and relaxation on the farm.


Mr. Nathan.  I love this boy.

David defended his dissertation, finished his PhD,
and began his first year as an elementary school principal.
So glad to be done with graduate school!

If we had known what we were getting into when Clara was born...
 
 We made it through 2010, and we're still smiling!
 
 
2011

Clara's first fish!

8 years. 
I guess we're not newlyweds anymore.

Thanksgiving Break ended with an 8-hour drive home in a little borrowed car without a CD player.
Our van took the week off to get a new transmission
after dying 30 miles from Flagstaff.

Exhausted...and beginning to realize that life isn't going to slow down any time soon.


2012
 
David and I spent 10 days in China.
We visited David's parents, who were teaching English there. 
It was an incredible experience!
I climbed the Great Wall of China at 7 1/2 months pregnant.
 

Christian could often be seen dressed as a cowboy.
 
4 kids!!! 

 William is universally adored.
 
 Nathan went on his first backpacking trip with Dad and Grandpa. 
 
Nathan was baptized.  He was growing up to be a wonderful person.

 
2013 

 Christian is oh-so-pleasant.
 
 What we have here is a total, 100% girly-girl.
 

Our annual canoe trip in beautiful north Idaho. 
Clara was old enough to go this year.
 
David and I took Nathan to Washington D.C.
It was 96 degrees and 70-80% humidity the whole time.
It was worth it to see everything, and it was very eye-opening for Nathan.
 
Watch out! 
The world's fastest crawler is expanding his skills.


 
10 years. 4 kids. 7 years of university. 4 diplomas. 7 jobs (give or take).
4 places of residence. 5 cars.
 
Lots of work.  Lots of noise.  Lots of help from the Lord.  Lots of fun.  Lots of love.
 
I'm so grateful to David for seeing potential in a 20-year-old girl
and for being patient while I finished growing up.
Thanks for 10 wonderful years!
 






2 comments:

The Atomic Mom said...

It's so funny when people post their: "5 houses, 3 cars" type of lists, I think ... the only thing we've gone thru a lot of is microwaves. We can't seem to keep one very long.

Anyway....welcome to Club 10. I'd forgotten that you and David were married in 2003 as well as us and Shaun and Neesha.

erika said...

Congrats to one wonderful couple. This post brought tears to my eyes...thanks for sharing! We are so glad you are part of the Boren clan!