Monday, September 20, 2010

A bad case of grocery-store-itis

At the grocery store today, Clara grabbed a package of spaghetti noodles and came running toward me, begging me to buy them. (She would eat spaghetti for every meal if I let her.) Anyway, she dropped the bag of noodles, and when it hit the floor it burst open, scattering noodles across the aisle. Fortunately, the only other person who saw this happen was another mom with kids, who smiled sympathetically. Just as I was gathering up the last noodles, Clara started hollering for me to look at Christian. I turned around to discover that while I had been cleaning up spaghetti, Christian had twisted around in the shopping cart seat and grabbed a can of yogurt from the basket. He had punctured the foil lid with his teeth and was sucking out yogurt like a vampire! He was covered with yogurt, and it was dribbling down the shopping cart and onto the floor. I laughed and tried to say something funny as I glanced around looking for a way to clean up. No more sympathetic smiles from nearby shoppers. They now looked at me like I was hopelessly inept and they wished we would take our mess and leave before something else ended up all over the floor. I finally found some napkins and cleaned up the yogurt.
I am not hopelessly inept, I just don't have enough hands and the eyes that were supposed to grow in the back of my head when I became a mom have not appeared yet.

4 comments:

Jeanne and Nelson said...

A wise friend said you can either laugh of cry. Laughter was a good choice. Besides Christian is very handsome.

marian said...

Mine haven't grown yet either - we must be defective models - oh well, they can't take us back - mwaaahaahaa!

Heather M said...

LOL! I'm so sorry but I think it's funny....probably because it sounds like something that would happen to me! You're a great mom...proof is that your children are adventurous and imagainative enough to get into trouble :). I need those eyes too...do you have to use a special tonic to get them?

J and A said...

I think grocery stores (or perhaps any and all stores) are prime settings for embarrassment for mothers of young. Two of my top stories played out there too (and many others that just missed the top spot by a smidgeon).

I used to joke that the grocery store trip was a success as long as Mom wasn't the one misbehaving or crying by the time the trip was done (and so with definition I think all of ours have been a success), but some go down in childhood history for sure. :)

I'd have smiled with you if I'd been there. :) You are an impressive Mom, keep up the great work! -Anna