Wednesday, March 30, 2011

color

David and I recently listened to "The Giver," by Lois Lowry.  Among other thoughts provoked by the book was this: "What would the world be like without color?"  After several months of seeing mostly white, brown, and gray outside, I am craving some color.  I sometimes get my color fix during the winter by looking through pictures I've taken of flowers and other living things.  Here are some of my favorites for the benefit of others who might need some color:
This is where David grew up in north Idaho.  When you walk through these grasses on a warm day, you can literally feel the energy of the living things surrounding you.  How could anyone be satisfied with anywhere else after living here?

 This vinca was the only thing I could get to grow in the damp, shady front flower bed of our Orem house.  I love this shade of violet.

We found this spider web near Battlecreek Falls, above Pleasant Grove.  
Not only is the web amazing, but I love how the leaves look with the sunlight shining through them. 

These flowers were all along the trail heading to Grouse Creek Falls in Idaho.
Simple and beautiful. 

You don't see many ferns where we live.  These were in the back forest at David's parents' house in north Idaho.  The next two pictures are from the flower gardens there.





This was near Bridal Veil Falls, up Provo Canyon.

Looking out our back window.  I've always thought of a beautiful sunrise as God's way of saying, "Good morning."

6 comments:

Matt and Dianna said...

Thanks Sherrie!!! I really needed that!!!! It's been gray here too and I can't WAIT for spring!!!! I've missed all the colors and I'm excited for Livy to be able to discover the outside world!

The Giver is a good book... lots to think about!!!! Don't know if you knew, but there are 2 other books in that same series, I liked them too!

marian said...

What beautiful photos Sherrie. Even though we are almost to Summer here, I think humans (especially ones who have lived a June and July in Idaho) really crave that beautiful, verdant green. Can't wait for SUMMER!

I really enjoyed the books of that series too, but the Giver was my favorite.

jeanne said...

Thanks, what a nice reprieve from the doldrums.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that you were such a talented photographer! These are beautiful shots. You should frame some of them. The one of David is beautiful.

emily, etc, etc said...

Such pretty pictures. I LOVE the first one especially. Plus I love the perspectives you give!

Amber Ada Reimann Burns said...

Enjoyed your thoughts and your photography!